Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Life!

The last time I updated this thing I did not know what I was doing or where I was going! Well, I am happy to report that I now know exactly what I am doing and exactly where I am- and I couldn't be happier.
This past November is when I really began to seriously think of teaching, aside from when I first entered college, other than that, I had always just played around with the idea. I found a program that is part of The New Teacher Project, like Teach for America and applied for it. I applied to be an Arizona Teaching Fellow; I spent more time on the initial application than I did studying for some of my finals (I was experiencing what many refer to as senoritis!). About a week or two after I submitted my application I received an email inviting me to an interview- I found out on the day I graduated, exciting!
I had a month to prepare for my interview, as I was set to travel to Ireland right after I graduated. Within the month I moved out of Flagstaff and down to Yuma. Lots of change!
Once I was settled into Yuma, I had to drive to Phoenix for my interview. I was so nervous, I had to present a lesson plan; do a writing sample; discuss a problem in a group of other interviewees; and have a one on one interview. I did not think I would get selected because there were so many people there, but sure enough, two weeks later I was offered a spot. By this time I had interviewed and been offered a position at a preschool/daycare in Yuma. I accepted the preschool position and literally a week later was offered the fellowship.
I spent a few days discussing what I would do with Nate and my family and ultimately came to the conclusion that joining the fellowship was the right thing to do. If I hadn't joined, I would have missed an excellent opportunity to get right into education. So, while I felt terrible for accepting both positions knowing fully well that come June I would not be able to do both, I feel as though I made the right decision.
I spent February through last week working at the preschool; it was short, but GREAT experience. I worked with such a variety of ages- infants to school age. The majority of the time I worked with one and two year olds, I really grew to love that age group. It is amazing how much information children retain, some of the one year olds knew EVERYONE'S names as well as who their parents were! ONE!

SO! ALSO, while all of this employment business was taking place, I began to live with Nate and Ender- more change! It has been great and I think we both have grown to appreciate Yuma, especially with the employment opportunities we have been offered here; which for two new graduates is pretty exciting- especially that we will both be doing exactly what we want!
One day, at the dog park with Ender Wiggin, this girl started to talk to me and Nate about Ender and her dog. She began the conversation with this, "So, I see you guys have a bird dog......" eventually she explained how she had just acquired her dog from her friend who had broken up with her boyfriend (the puppy was a present and ultimately a product of break up!! oh no! haha). She soon got to the point of saying how she needed to find a good family for him and did not just want to sell him (he is an Irish Setter from a breeder in AZ- apparently people buy these puppies for $900- WOAH) WELL. Throughout my four years in college I had always said I would get a dog once I graduated and did not live with roommates. While I had always said that and meant it, I had planned on another year at least before I would actually get my own dog! Well, I could not resist the puppy, he was the cutest little guy and he loved Ender, Ender did not give any notice to Porter( the pups name), but that's just how Ender is. When we are at the dog park he has three things on his mind; finding birds, stalking birds, and running after birds.
Nate and I were planning to goto San Diego to meet up with my Mom and Kevin that weekend, so we could not just take Porter right then- trust me, I would have.
Nate told the lady we would 'think about it' BAHAA! I instantly said I wanted him and that he would be my dog anddd I would pay for him. I called my Mom to get her thoughts and she was, a bit to my surprise all for it. I was anxious through the weekend; Sunday came and we got the puppy! He is crazy, very high strung, but such a lover.
I'll talk about him another time and just post a picture for now! That is from the very first day we got him- 4 months old, he is now 7 months old and SOOO much bigger!!!

SOOOOO! I am going to wrap this up, I leave for the Teaching Fellows summer institute to; student teach, apply for a Fall teaching job, interview, and attend workshops on June 1, I will be there until July 8! I cannot wait to meet other Fellows! I also am excited to learn everything I will learn and ultimately get prepared to run my own class in a few short months.

Nate graduated on Saturday!! He has been offered a job working as a nurse in the NICU, his start date is July 12- he must pass the NCLEX board exam first. As soon as we both have our REAL PERSON JOBS (!!) we will look for a new place with a pooooool! Yes, Yuma is HOT, therefore a pool is necessary. Peter Pan was wrong, so far growing up is turning out to be pretty alright. I cannot wait until I can actually take over all of my personal expenses and officially be self-sustaining! 

No comments:

Post a Comment